I Used the Internet to Quit Smoking | Cognizz Cognizz: I Used the Internet to Quit Smoking
Contact Us:

If You Have Any Problem, Wanna Help, Wanna Write Guest Post, Find Any Error Or Want To Give Us Feedback, Just Feel Free To Contact Us. We Will Reply You Soon.

Name: *


Email: *

Message: *


Cognizz

LiveZilla Live Help

Thursday 3 April 2014

I Used the Internet to Quit Smoking

Phone-cigarette

I started smoking for the same reasons most people begin the nasty habit: I was young and stupid.
Like many teenagers, I could care less about the negative aspects of smoking. Money wasn't yet a burden on my everyday existence, the long term effects meant little to nothing and I had myself convinced that quick spritz of spray deodorant and some gum masked the smell well enough.
The truth was that smoking, once a fun and social activity then began to control my life.
Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed smoking. In fact, I loved smoking.
Smoking was always there for me. It helped alleviate stress, introduced me to most of my good friends, it felt amazing and played a huge role in my daily routine. I would sneak a smoke break anywhere I could, and living in a city always provided a few moments to puff, when waiting for the bus or walking between destinations

The beginning of the end

At age 22 I was up to a full pack a day, sometimes more. My family begged me to quit, but you can't just tell someone to stop smoking — they have to hit rock bottom, they have to want it.
A few years later, at age 24 I was living in New York, the most expensive city in the United States, where cigarette prices are over $12 a pack. There was now no way for me to further delay my mountainous, six-figure student loan debt. I simply couldn't afford to smoke anymore, and quite frankly, I didn't want to.
Then a friend posted an Instagram of her Timehop app. The nostalgia-based app allows you to see your photos and social media updates from exactly one year prior. Someone with whom I had once enjoyed many cigarettes had made it a full year without smoking, and I desperately wanted the same.

IMAGE: INSTAGRAM
After some encouragement from friends and family, I started to seriously consider quitting for real. I had tried a few times before, but I had never put any calculated effort towards it.
I began researching popular methods people use to quit, and stumbled upon an online support group on Reddit, r/stopsmoking. The encouraging community is a place for Redditors who seek motivation to quit, and is filled with stories, words of encouragement and advice. A yellow badge appears next to your username with a number, signifying the number of days since quitting.
reddit

IMAGE: REDDIT
Once I immersed myself in the subreddit, I found that the community extremely friendly and helpful. Unlike other places on the Internet, there were no trolls or hateful words toward those who sought advice.

I quit

Although I had yearned to quit, and had done some research in the method and practice I thought best for me, I never picked a specific time to quit. But when I awoke on New Year's Day with a splitting headache, reeking of an ash tray, I figured now was as good a time as ever. The hangover alone was enough to make me not want to smoke, so I knew the first day wouldn't be so bad.
Searching for methods to quit smoking on the Internet is like searching for weight loss tips — there are thousands of different approaches that all claim to be the best, but not all is right for you.
appstore.edit

IMAGE: ITUNES APP STORE
The patch seemed too weird for me, the gum made my mouth itch, prescription medication was definitely out; I had no insurance, e-cigarettes hadn't caught on yet, and reading a self-help book just made me feel like a drug addict, which I was.
Along with cigarettes, my phone was the only other thing I couldn't leave my apartment without
One method that did peak my interest was appsAlong with cigarettes, my phone was the only other thing I couldn't leave my apartment without, and now it was my only clutch.
There are hundreds of apps geared towards quitting smoking. I downloaded an app called QuitIt, because it had good ratings, it was free and wasn't as invasive or time-consuming as some others.
There are hundreds of apps geared towards quitting smoking. I downloaded an app called QuitIt, because it had good ratings, it was free and wasn't as invasive or time-consuming as some others.
The app is geared toward information as motivation. You plug in the amount of cigarettes you smoke, cost per pack and the time you quit smoking. The app does the math and delivers you information based on your specifics.
The status screen tracks the amount of time since you quit, the money you've saved, cigarettes not smoked and the tar associated with that number. The app also includes a number of health goals, which monitors your progress as time continues.
quitit

IMAGE: QUITIT

Utilizing the app

Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Like most quitting stories, I did get a little sick, I was irritable and I felt terrible, but the most difficult part was the empty feeling I was left with. I felt as if nothing was ever going to be the same — any activity I had once enjoyed while smoking was simply never going to be as good as it was with a cigarette in hand.
My morning coffee just wasn't like it was before. I drank alone inside bars as my friends braved the cold weather for their vice, and even though my appetite did increase, meals weren't as satisfying without a cigarette for dessert.
Any time I had a craving, I would open the app, and track the progress I had made. If I had a craving while I was on the computer, I'd immediately go to r/stopsmoking, to read a success story, or to offer someone else having a harder time than me support. It was like complaining about a sprained ankle at the doctor's office when the person next to you doesn't have any legs at all.
After just a week or two, I started to notice a difference in my health and hygiene, especially in my mouth. Once the initial shock wore off, sleeping became easier, although occupied with strange, lucid dreams And I began to think about cigarettes less and less.
stopsmoking copy

IMAGE: REDDIT
The app worked for me because of its no-nonsense vibe. The ads are small and barely noticeable, it isn't overloaded with features and functions, it loads quickly and isn't a battery killer.
Other apps like Kwit use game design techniques to encourage quitting.
kwit

IMAGE: KWIT
The app Livestrong which calls itself a "MyQuit Coach" combines game design, community and motivational information. It was a little frustrating to use, however, and the popups just made me want to smoke more.
Untitled-1

IMAGE: LIVESTRONG
A lot of apps also feature the humble, social media brag element, allowing you to connect your social media accounts to the app. For me, the thought of failure was worse once I boasted to my followers about how far I had come with my addiction.
Not smoking is still an everyday struggle, and probably will be for the rest of my life. Although myQuitIt app slowly moved from the home screen on my iPhone, to the third screen, back among other forgotten and hardly used apps, I have no desire to delete it. Still, the only time I ever open it is when someone asks how much money I've saved since quitting.
Answer: lots of money, and many years.

Like the Post? Share with your Friends:-

Team SB
Posted By: Team SB

0 comments:

POST A COMMENT

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *

 

Latest post

About Us


Copyright © . SkillBlogger. All Rights Reserved.
Designed by :-Way2themes